Grand Duchess Anastasia of Russia and her fiance, Grand Duke Friedrich Franz III of Mecklenburg Schwerin. Their grandmothers, Princesses Alexandrine and Charlotte of Prussia, were sisters, and Friedrich Franz was also a direct descendant of Tsar Paul I. Anastasia did not enter the marriage with enthusiasm (Grand Duchess Vladimir, Friedrich's sister pressed the match), but when Friedrich Franz died she said, "I have lost my best friend."

Grand Duchess Anastasia of Russia and her fiance, Grand Duke Friedrich Franz III of Mecklenburg Schwerin. Their grandmothers, Princesses Alexandrine and Charlotte of Prussia, were sisters, and Friedrich Franz was also a direct descendant of Tsar Paul I. Anastasia did not enter the marriage with enthusiasm (Grand Duchess Vladimir, Friedrich's sister pressed the match), but when Friedrich Franz died she said, "I have lost my best friend."