“‘I’ve been a prisoner of war since December 19th, 1944,’ Kurt Vonnegut writes. Captured during the Battle of the Bulge, he was transported by train with other American soldiers across Germany to a work camp in Dresden. In 1989, he writes to one of his fellow former prisoners: ‘Maybe my fundamental home is in Dresden, since that is where my great adventure took place.’ The experience gave him the title and subject of his best-known novel, Slaughterhouse-Five, 1969.”

“‘I’ve been a prisoner of war since December 19th, 1944,’ Kurt Vonnegut writes. Captured during the Battle of the Bulge, he was transported by train with other American soldiers across Germany to a work camp in Dresden. In 1989, he writes to one of his fellow former prisoners: ‘Maybe my fundamental home is in Dresden, since that is where my great adventure took place.’ The experience gave him the title and subject of his best-known novel, Slaughterhouse-Five, 1969.”